Meet Me at the Airport

Last weekend I experienced something that I didn't realize how much I missed. I was in Los Angeles for my cousin's wedding reception, but the pleasant surprise happened when a close friend came to pick me up on my return. I was expecting to grab my luggage from the conveyor and run outside to jump into her Jeep. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I turned and saw her standing there smiling by the luggage ramp. I felt a gush of happiness, not because of any particular reason, but just because there was a familiar face waiting there to greet me. When I saw her, it somehow brought back all our shared experiences and it made me appreciate her even more. So, if you want to be appreciated, pick up someone you care about from the airport after they disembark from a long flight. You will be appreciated, trust me.

In my past life as a consultant, I traveled extensively around the country which, of course, entailed flying. Each time I was dropped off and picked up by Godfred, my Ghanaian cab driver. Don't get me wrong, it was fun discussing world soccer with him but still, I never had the feeling of having someone I knew dearly, pick me up in my traveling days. This time it was markedly different. I felt happy, and I liked it. The picture above, which I found on the internet's biggest time waster StumbleUpon, actually triggered my thoughts on this. I am sure most of you have felt the same way seeing a familiar face greeting you after a long trip away from home.


Popular Posts