WHERE IS THE SAFEST SEAT ON A PLANE?

You’ve felt it before. You grip your armrest, and your heart palpitates. You close your eyes and imagine the worst. No matter how many times I’ve done it before, there are times that I’ve wanted to escape that claustrophobic cabin. Flying is no walk in the park, no matter how many times you’ve done it. Every time the plane hits turbulence, I wonder how many drinks the pilots had the night before. The recent US Airways crash has, perhaps, made surviving a plane crash relevant again.

Well, I am going to help ease your mind, a little. Popular Mechanics magazine released an article, a couple of years ago, detailing their research on how to survive a plane crash. I am going to summarize their research into one sentence, because I love you folks and I don’t want you to have to pore through all that research. 

Passengers near the tail of a plane are about 40 percent more likely to survive a crash than those in the first few rows up front.


There you go, that’s it. I was strangely relieved to know that, actually. I’ve always picked a seat in the back of the plane, albeit for selfish reasons. The passengers with seats in the back always board earlier and don’t have to fight for storage space. I wonder why this storage space issue is a problem. Maybe because the major airlines CHARGE FOR CHECKED-IN LUGGAGE?

Here is a diagram that shows the survival rates for seats on a plane. (Click on the pic to make it bigger)

Popular Posts